Friday, April 4, 2008

Well the toilet doesn't work!



I arrived after flying WAY too many hours, although meeting some interesting folks along the way, to find Casey waiting at the Durban airport for me. We purchased some drinks since we weren't sure what was available at the B&B, paid for parking and were off. When we got through the gate of the 164 Guesthouse http://www.164.co.za/ we went to the Zulu room, which was just lovely. After Joe brought up some cereal and toast for Casey (he hadn't had dinner yet), and I had a shower, we began to settle in. Casey had already moved his stuff in. Then the crap hit the fan. (Almost literally) The toilet started to overflow, Casey became violently ill, and then to top if off a nice family of cockroaches visited our room! The toilet also broke (actually chipped so that the water would come out of the side when you flushed), which made our adventure even better! Poor Casey had quite a night, throwing up every 20 minutes or so. Of course neither of us slept.
Today we finally got some sleep and ventured out at about 4 o'clock to find something to eat. Before our trek, we switched rooms to a much smaller room, but quite nice so that the toilet could be fixed. We went to a Chemist to get some crystals for Casey and then to the mall area. Woolworth's is the major department store...and they had lots of lovely shops. We ate at Mugs and Bean where Case had some soup and I a quesadilla. Afterwards we spotted Juicy Lucy's! There I bought some mango juice.
We headed back and Casey is now trying to sleep so that we can be ready for our adventure tomorrow. 164's owner Mike, has 2 dogs (Georgie and Maggie) that I played with for quite a while.
Tomorrow we go to Leopard Mountain http://www.leopardmountain.co.za/index2.htm . Hopefully we will find the big 5 as well as many other critters! I left my new guide at home though! Such a bummer.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I can't believe you had such a rough start! Hope the "crystals" worked for you, Casey. BTW the mountain link doesn't work, but I'll try to Google it! Love to you both!

Unknown said...

Oh my - what a crazy start to your African adventure! Poor Casey. Hope he's feeling better now!! Have a lovely time at Leopard Mountain and I hope you see tons of wildlife!